All information of Jeremy Hunt
So Jeremy Hunt is getting down to business as the new chancellor on a fast-moving day in politics.
Here are a few facts about the UK’s BBC News ni new top finance minister.
- Brought up in Surrey and privately-educated at Charterhouse School; later studied at the University of Oxford
- Elected as MP in South West Surrey in 2005
- Appointed by then-Prime Minister David Cameron as a culture secretary, an important role during the 2012 London Olympics
- Later made health secretary, holding that post for a record stint of nearly six years, during which time he presided over a government standoff with junior doctors
- Supported Remain during the 2016 EU referendum
- Served as foreign secretary in the government of Theresa May
- Finished second to Boris Johnson in the 2019 Conservative leadership election
- Unsuccessfully stood for Tory leader again in this year’s contest, pledging to slash corporation tax – a hot-button issue during the premiership of Liz Truss
- Becomes chancellor at a critical time for the UK economy, with inflation soaring and many struggling to pay energy bills and other living costs
- Married to wife Lucia, with whom he has three children